Dealing with the stress and annoyance of being stuck in traffic or navigating another motorist’s mistake is something that virtually every driver in Austin, TX has dealt with. Unfortunately, some people let their frustration get the best of them—driving aggressively, or even dangerously. The last thing you want is for you or your loved one to be injured by a dangerous driver in Austin.
Aggressive driving puts everyone at risk. In fact, aggressive driving is one of the leading causes of serious crashes in the United States. Here, our Austin car accident attorneys provide an overview of aggressive driving and we offer three tips that you can use to keep yourself and your family safe on the road.
What is Aggressive Driving?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), aggressive driving is “any combination of traffic offenses or general behaviors that endanger persons or property.” In practice, aggressive driving can come in a wide range of different forms. Some of the most common examples of aggressive driving include:
- Tailgating or following too closely;
- Yelling at other drivers;
- Angry, unnecessary honking at other drivers;
- Making rude or threatening gestures at other drivers;
- Cutting off other vehicles;
- Excessive speeding; and
- Weaving in and out of lanes;
Left unchecked, aggressive driving can quickly escalate into full-blown road rage—which is extremely dangerous. In the very worst cases of road rage, drivers may stalk other parties, follow other cars home in order to physically confront a person, or even intentionally strike other vehicles.
How to Deal With Dangerous Drivers: Three Tips to Keep You Safe
It is best to think of aggressive driving as something that can happen to almost anyone. Every driver in Texas should monitor their own behavior behind the wheel. Not only is aggressive driving dangerous in the sense that it makes a crash far more likely, but it is also associated with a wide range of adverse health outcomes, including anxiety, stress, high blood pressure, and heart problems. Defensive driving is the answer. As defined by the National Safety Council (NSC), defensive driving is the practice of a set of strategies designed to predict road hazards and minimize the risk of an accident. Here are three tips to help you avoid aggressive driving accidents in Austin:
- Be sure to proactively watch out for aggressive drivers on the road. When you do see an aggressive driver, avoid them—give them more than enough space.
- Notice the early warning signs of aggressive driving in yourself. When you feel yourself getting frustrated, slow down and try to relax. If necessary, pull over and take a breath.
- Plan your route, check traffic conditions, and give yourself more than enough time. Aggressive driving is far more common in people who feel “late” or “rushed”.
Below is an infographic showing how aggressive driving impacts your health and your driving.
Discuss Your Case With Our Austin, TX Car Accident Lawyer Today
At DC Law, our Texas car accident attorneys have extensive experience handling aggressive driving accident claims. If you or your loved one was injured by an aggressive driver in Austin, we can help. To set up a free, no obligation personal injury consultation, please contact our law firm by calling (512) 220-1800. With a law office in Austin, we serve communities throughout Travis County.